Saturday, August 05, 2006

PAINTINGS



Click on any image to enlarge.




Though my work is abstract, my intent is to portray the awe one feels gazing at a meteor shower, standing silently before a sunrise, climbing in a mineral-rich canyon, or snorkeling at a magnificent reef, with momentary patterns and ripples that time takes away but whose essence our memory, imagination, and spontaneous joy can bring back in new forms.





As a lifelong student of meditation and wisdom traditions, I often use white or metallic gold to transmit a sense of luminosity, the source of creativity, a light that cannot be fully captured but can be experienced within.




The golden sparkle on the page may not show at first glance depending on the lighting and angle, just as a moment of "Aha!" often plays hide and seek with us and comes as a delightful surprise, arising from another dimension.





I listen to music as I paint, so an impression of a tabla beat or a soulful melody in an ancient tongue may find its way into the work with brushstrokes dancing a spirited curve or diagonal.



Having studied mandala drawing, I am intrigued by the possibilities of round canvases...




... and by pieces that work just as well sideways or upside down.


I turn the paper or canvas as I work, applying colors and patterns from several points of view.



Perhaps it's for these reasons that the images seem to have movement
and an energetic presence.




A few summers ago I lost everything in a fire. So I am starting from scratch, the proverbial phoenix rising from the ash.


I am also a storyteller, but in these pieces, I leave the story line to the beholder.

I hope you find something here that inspires and gives pause.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home